The biggest moment was getting to do the Christmas special because it was so bizarre, so fun, and I love that kind of spontaneous stuff. There's not a whole lot of rehearsing to it ... Gotta let him be him, and the rest of it will fall into place for you. He's a wacky, original, innovative kind of guy. And he's brilliant. There was nothing else out there like it.Speaking of original, there is no one quite like Toby Keith, either, as his packed 2014 itinerary reflects:
* In March, the Academy of Country Music announced it would bestow upon him the prestigious ACM Career Achievement Award.Of course, much of 2014 is but a prelude to new music that will be the centerpiece of an eventful 2015. Early in the year, Keith will headline CMT's Ultimate Kickoff Party, which will air live from the College Football National Championship in Dallas January 9.
* Keith's international reach extended to a new continent that month with the Hammer Down Under Tour. His performance at the iconic CMC Rocks the Hunter festival became a television special that recently premiered on the nation's Foxtel cable.
* In April, Toby received the Spirit of the USO Award from an organization he's partnered with for annual visits in support of the armed forces service members he holds in such high esteem. Keith was surprised with the honor while performing on the ACM Presents: An All-Star Salute To The Troops show that aired on CBS in May.
* The 11th Annual Toby Keith & Friends Golf Classic held May 16 and 17 raised more than $ 950,000 for the Toby Keith Foundation's efforts in support of seriously ill children and their families. Notably, the foundation supports the OK Kids Korral, a cost-free, convenient and comfortable home for patients and their families seeking treatment at The Children's Hospital at OU Medical Center.
* His Shut Up And Hold On Tour presented by Ford F-Series opened May 25, continuing his long-running track record of standing-room-only audiences and freewheeling good times. One of music's top-drawing performers for more than a decade, Keith also brought along an inflatable Wild Shot Mezcal bar at many tour stops.
* In October, Keith was nominated for the Songwriter's Hall of Fame along with Tom Petty, Cyndi Lauper, Steve Winwood and more. Winning nominees will be inducted during the 2015 annual awards gala in New York City next June.